Bilateral Collaboration with Uganda
ISP has been assigned by Sida as the coordinating entity for the Swedish activities in the bilateral program with Makerere University. in Uganda.
The agreement period for the bilateral program was July 2015 - June 2020, but it has been prolonged for the two-year period,1 July 2020 to 30 June 2022.
A description of the programme can be found via the link https://maksweden.mak.ac.ug/
News and Events
9-10 April, 2022: International Research Dissemination Conference. The conference is a hybrid event.
- Registration link: https://registration.invajo.com/1ec73863-056c-62a6-8976-06740b380f04
- Link to conference webpage: https://ugaswe2022.mak.ac.ug/
Movie: the Swedish and East African Schools of Library and Information Science at Borås University in Sweden and Makerere University in Uganda, have been working together to strengthen knowledge production and sharing for socio-economic development in Uganda.
Mak-Sweden research collaboration program 2015-2020, Mid Term Review report.
- 7-8 October 2021: Annual Review Meeting. Agenda
- 26-27 April 2021: Annual Planning Meeting for the academic year 2021/2022. Program
- 26 - 27 November 2020: Annual Review Meeting for the academic year 2019/2020. Program
- 18 - 19 May 2020: Annual Planning Meeting for the academic year 2020/2021 at Makerere University (Web meeting).
- 30 September - 4 October, 2019: Annual Review Meeting for the academic year 2018/2019 at Makerere University. Program
- 8 - 12 April 2019: Annual Planning Meeting for the academic year 2019/2020 at Makerere University. Program Sustainability (presentation by Professor Buyinza)
- 1 - 5 October 2018: Annual Review Meeting for the academic year 2017/2018 at Makerere University. Program
- 11-12 September 2018: Meeting for Swedish partners in Stockholm. Agenda
- 23 - 27 April 2018: Annual Planning Meeting for the academic year 2018/2019 at Makerere University, Program.
- PhD-supervision course at Makerere University: was arranged February 14 – 16th, with a follow-up March 19 – 21st. For more information, please contact email@example.com
- 2 - 6 October 2017: Annual Review Meeting for the academic year 2016/2017at Makerere University.
- 12 - 13 September 2017: Swedish Coordinators meeting in Visby. Program
- 24 - 28 April 2017: Annual Planning Metting for the academic year 2017/2018 at Makerere University. Program.
- 10 - 14 October 2016: The Annual Review Meeting (ARM) for the Academic year 2015/2016 at Makerere University. Program
- 19 - 20 September 2016: Meeting in Stockholm for Swedish partners in the bilateral program. Program
- 25 - 29 April 2016: The Annual Planning Meetings (APM) for the bilateral collaboration with Uganda was held 25-29 April in Kampala.
- 12 December 2015: A start up meeting for Swedish partners in the new bilateral agreement was held at the Sida headquarter in Stockholm. Powerpoint presentation by Katri Pohjolainen Yap
- 3 November 2015: Signing of the bilateral research agreement Sweden-Uganda. Read more about the event on Makerere University website.
Enclosures to Agreements with Swedish collaborating partners:
- Enclosure 1 - Specific Agreement on Research Collaboration between Sweden and Makerere University during the period 3 November 2015 – 30 June 2020.
Amendment to Specific Agreement on Reseach Collaboration between Sweden and Makerere University during the period 3 November 2015 – 31 May 2023.
Amendment No. 4 to Specific Agreement on Research Cooperation between Sweden and Makerere University during the period 3 November 2015 - 31 May 2023.
- Enclosure 2 - Standard Operating Procedures (SoP) for Mak-Sweden Research Collaboration 2015-2020 (Updated 2016-04-29).
- Budget templates (extracted from the SoP, updated 29 April 2016): Student budget and Annual Project Budget. The remaining two are just for DRGT use: Annual overall budget 9.1 – per project and 9.2 Annual overall budget 2 – per activity.
- Enclosure 3 - Guidelines 2008 - Support to National Research Development, Sida
- Enclosure 4 - Uppdragsbeskrivning för årlig granskning och rapportering (in Swedish; updated 2022-04-20)
- Addendum to full proposal for the Makerere-Sida bilateral research programme 2015-2020
- List of approved projects.
- Terms of Reference/Program Document for Swedish program coordinating entity (ISP) within the bilateral research co-operation with Uganda 2015-2020.
- Reporting template
- Sida guidelines to partners
Insurance for students and other visitors - Terms and conditions
The numbers within parenthesis refers to the numbering of the projects during the application process. The Swedish collaborators are not all mentioned, but at least one at each collaborating institution is indicated.
(313) Strengthening Social Science Research for National Development. Coordinator: Andrew Elias State (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Staffan Höjer (firstname.lastname@example.org), University of Gothenburg.
(316) Capacity Building in Mathematics and Its Applications. Coordinator: John Mango Magero (email@example.com). Swedish collaborators: Martin Singull (firstname.lastname@example.org), Linköping University , Sergei Silvestrov (email@example.com), Mälardalen University , Timo Koski (firstname.lastname@example.org), Royal Institute of Technology , Paul Vaderlind (email@example.com), Stockholm University, David Sumpter (firstname.lastname@example.org), Uppsala University.
(317) Building Research Capacity in Innovative Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) for Sustainable Socio-economic Growth in Uganda. Coordinator: Baino Mugisha (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org). Swedish collaborator: Michel R. V. Chaudron (email@example.com), University of Gothenburg, and Pär Meiling (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chalmers University of Technology.
(321) Training for sustainable spatially enabled e-services delivery in Uganda. Coordinator: Gilbert Maiga (email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Ali Mansourian (Ali.Mansourian@nateko.lu.se), Lund University.
(331) Partnership for Building Resilient Ecosystems and Livelihoods to Climate Change and Disaster. Coordinator: Yazidhi Bamutaze (firstname.lastname@example.org). Swedish collaborators: Petter Pilesjö (email@example.com), Lund University, Giuliano Di Baldassarre (Giuliano.Dibaldassarre@geo.uu.se), Uppsala University.
(334) Building Capacity for Knowledge and Information Production and Sharing for Socio-Economic Development in Uganda. Coordinator: George Kiyingi firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Veronica Trépagny (firstname.lastname@example.org), University of Borås.
(343) Innovating health systems and healthcare delivery in rural Uganda: towards building critical capacity to tackle the rising Type 2 Diabetes challenge. Coordinator: David Guwatudde (email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Meena Daivadanam, Karolinska Institute and Uppsala University (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com)
(344) Innovations for accelerating reduction in maternal, newborn and child mortality in post conflict Uganda. Coordinator: James Tumwine (firstname.lastname@example.org). Swedish collaborator: Claudia Hanson (Claudia.Hanson@ki.se), Karolinska Institute.
(346) Towards better treatment of infectious diseases in children in rural Uganda. Better diagnostics and algorithms for increased quality of care, rational use of medicines and minimized antimicrobial resistance. Coordinator: Celestino Obua (email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Cecilia Stålsby Lundborg (firstname.lastname@example.org), Karolinska Institute.
(362) Building Research and Training capacities to develop innovations in sustainable intensification of maize–based cropping systems for improving productivity, food security and resilience to climate change in Uganda. Coordinator: Herbert Talwana (email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Sigrun Dahlin (Sigrun.Dahlin@slu.se), Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
(372) Quality improvement of Makerere University’s population-based health and demographic surveillance site: maximizing the potential of the research platform for capacity development andgeneration of valid population data to inform policy formulation. Coordinator: Fred Wabwire-Mangen (firstname.lastname@example.org). Swedish collaborator: Claudia Hanson (email@example.com), Karolinska Institute.
(374) Information Support for Quality Higher Education and Research in Uganda. Coordinator: Hellen Byamugisha (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Johan Hinders (firstname.lastname@example.org), Royal Institute of Technology.
(376) Strengthening Quality Assurance initiatives for relevance and optimal productivity at Makerere University and partnering public universities. Coordinator: Vincent Ssembatya (email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Åsa Kettis, Uppsala University (firstname.lastname@example.org).
(377) Enhancement of Research Environment, Coordination, Leadership and Management for sustainability at Makerere University. Coordinator: Buyinza Mukadasi (email@example.com and Buyinza@rgt.mak.ac.ug). Swedish collaborator: N/A.
(382) Upgrading and Strengthening the University Wide GIS centre. Coordinator: John Richard Otukei (firstname.lastname@example.org). Swedish collaborators: Yifang Ban (email@example.com) and Andrea Nascetti (firstname.lastname@example.org, Royal Institute of Technology, Petter Pilesjö (email@example.com), Lund University.
(2391) Enhancement of Gender Focused Research Capacity Building of Women in Leadership and Gender Mainstreaming in Higher Education in Uganda. Coordinator: Consolata Kabonesa (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com). Swedish collaborator: Margareta Espling (firstname.lastname@example.org), University of Gothenburg.